Monday, May 28, 2007

The Roger Rabbit and the Running Man

Over the weekend I updated myself on what's going on with my fellow bloggers, and I came across Lissa's blog last. Lissa has a real talent for writing, and I was amused with her last statement.

It's about the roger rabbit and the running man.

Instantly, I was on a quick trip down memory lane.

Sometime in the early 90's (not sure if I was in sixth grade or in freshman year at high school), I was an appointed member of our batch's dance group. I don't dance for performances, but I do have a sense of rhythm. I'd copy the dance moves being shown by the Universal Motion Dancers at That's Entertainment in the privacy of my parents' bedroom. The more experienced dancers in our batch picked me as part of their group (guess that's where the barkada factor comes in). The group needs representation from all the sections of our batch, and they were at a dilemna who to get from the honors class.

And they picked the class valedictorian, hehe.

So for 3 weeks, we'd practice after school for about two hours. The performance was for an intermission number of our school's concert-event featuring the "Ang TV" cast. Our group of 11 did hops, waves, air-swims, dolphin get-ups, slam-claps and whatever choereography we could think of. What we did during those 3 weeks is good material for a movie storyline.

And of course, we had to insert THE roger rabbit and THE running man. It was, at that time, the dance craze. Along with the scissor steps.

Come performance time, all I could remember was that the crowd went wild when they heard the first bars of the roger rabbit theme. It was a 6-minute dance number, in front of a packed gymnasium. It was my first time to be onstage in front of the spotlight as a performer.

And when the sax portion kicked-in, we did the roger rabbit and the running man and the scissor steps. Executed them perfectly and in sync with each other. More shouts and more cheers.

It was one of the best 6-minutes of my life. =)

And that's why I smile whenever I hear or read about the roger rabbit and the running man. Being young then, it doesn't take much to get that feeling of enrapture.

1 comment:

U.T.O.Y said...

dancer ito?