Thursday, May 10, 2007

Muted Sighs

A muted sigh is a sign of silent surrender. It's what helpless people do in the short instance when time seems to be suspended. It's the feeling of having a pocket of dense air that you swallow and settle at your stomach. It makes your ears red sometimes and your eyes watery.

It's what a kid does who eagerly looked forward to a weekend fun trip with his dad, only to be disappointed later on because his dad was called on an urgent business trip.

It's what the shy girl does at the prom who eyes on a guy, waiting for him to ask her to dance with him, only to see him scan the faces and leave abruptly.

It's what the beggar does at the end of the day after counting his meager alms before he sleeps on the cold pavement.

It's what the traveller does when he finds out that he won't make it to his flight because of the traffic jam.

It's what I did when I was told today that the organization cannot grant me my release window yet and take up a broadening assignment.

*Sigh*

But these people who do not sigh out loud are brave people. Surely, they look forward to the following day, week, month or year hoping that things will be better. They do not wish to invoke unrest in the balance of things and events in their influence.

I just need to hang on a little longer. I hope that the time does not come when I sigh not because of regret or surrender, but because of a compromised fulfillment. I hope that the time will come when I need not sigh.

p.s. I look forward to working with my future boss. It should make my current career more bearable and inspiring.

1 comment:

hephaestus said...

tsk tsk... kaya pala binawi mo kaagad yung "if i'll still be here next year" comment mo...