Thursday, May 03, 2007

Childishness

I've been tremendously busy with work and business travel recently which is why I haven't had the chance to update my blog as often as I wanted to.

Out of nowhere, Quito blipped into my schedule last week.

The one thing I can depend on my best friend is that he remains the same guy that I know for the last 10 years. He's switched jobs thrice, was close to bankruptcy for about a year because of a bad investment, got laid and then married, have 3 kids in tow, gained about 4 inches in his belly since college, chose to be with his mom when his parents separated a few years back and raised 9 puppies in-between (one of which was his personal favorite for me, because it liked sitting on my lap, and later told me that the puppy does that because she's in heat).

He invited me for a late lunch last week after finding out that I was in the area. We catched up on what's new with the other's family, relationships, jobs, next car to buy, problems, idols, patriotism, election, insurance, oil prices, newly-tried positions, health, etc. Both of us had pretty hectic schedules, and burn-out was a serious topic for both of us.

Since both of us were free for the rest of the afternoon, we decided to grab some Ice Monsters at Fort. He then had the idea of sitting on the grass near the Adidas Sports Camp area under the 3 pm sun in our respective business attire cooling off with Ice Monsters like a couple of student truants who skipped classes from University.

Sitting there on the grass enjoying avocado slices with shaved ice was enjoyable. It was as if the cool ice temporarily froze my brain to focus on that singular moment of bliss. I must have been mesmerized by the idea, because the next thing I knew was that Quito punched me *hard* on the shoulder. Major ouch.

"What was that for?!"
"Hahaha... wimp!"
"Oh yeah? Hah!"
"I dare you. You can't do your judo moves anymore. Wimp!"
"No problem."

Without warning, I sprang up my feet, grabbed his left hand, slid it to his back, placed my leg behind his shin to get him off-balance and did a judo take-down move on him in less than 10 seconds. Quito went face-down on the grass.

And the funny thing is he was laughing. And I found myself laughing with him a couple of seconds later.

Yep, it's nice to know we didn't grow up much. We both believe that an occasional bit of childishness helps manage the stress.

Hehehe.

2 comments:

Kulotsalot said...

This reminds me of those mills & boon love novels i read in high school. The text just before they do each other... wehehehee!!! Peace Stippy!!!

''Without warning, I sprang up my feet, grabbed his left hand, slid it to his back, placed my leg behind his shin to get him off-balance and did a judo take-down move on him in less than 10 seconds. Quito went face-down on the grass.''

Miss ko na kayo! Coffee tom night?

stip said...

wahahaha... oo nga 'no? but spy thrillers like the jason bourne series and tom clancy novels are also written that way for the CQC (close quarter combat) scenes.

ya, kofi tom night (or ice monster; i'm cutting down on caffeine)! send out invites. let's do the bonifacio walk. haven't been there. hehehe.