Monday, May 22, 2006

Doing My Share of Our Generation

I spent last Saturday with my 3rd attendance to our company-sponsored Gawad Kalinga-Build. There's a 1-hectare GK site just 5 minutes away from the refinery. My first participation involved a lot of soil compacting (great workout for the arms and shoulders, hehe). My second visit had me down on my knees laying brick tiles for the GK village's small park (best done by obsessive-compulsive people). Last weekend, I did some more tile-laying for the front pathways of the houses and painted a roof.

Yep, I scrambled up a makeshift ladder to one of the duplex unit's roof. The roof was nothing more than 1 layer of GI sheet (yero) nailed to steel trusses of the roof frame. It's a bit unsafe; I had to maneuver my task such that I'm always stepping on a truss. Add to that the heat of the sun and voila... one roof painted red and one burnt Stip. =)

Despite the sweat, the thirst and the sunburn, as soon as I got down from the roof and saw the result of my work, I had this light and warm feeling inside of me. I hope that the family who'll get to stay in the house that I painted will find my work satisfactory.

------------------------------------

BOO-BOO.

Setting: Starbucks Fort, 1130 pm. Myself, MJ, Richard, Tin, Buddy, Duane

Marijo: So kamusta na sa Tabangao?
Myself: Okay lang. Just a few happenings. Two of the newbies are 'sila' na.
Marijo: Eh si Jackie, kamusta?
Myself: Hmmm... si Jackie... galit pa rin yata sa mga lalake yun.
Marijo: Bakit naman?
Myself: Parang ikaw, galit sa mga lalake.
(Richard tumaas yung kilay)
Marijo: Bakit?
Myself: Same story as you. Nagkagusto sa isang lalake, nahulog ang kalooban, di naman sinalo ng lalake.
(Tin lalong nanlaki yung mata)
Myself: [...holy shit, nandito nga pala si duane!...]

Ayaaaaa.... big oopsie for me. Peace, MJ!
... Ikaw kasi e, tanong ng tanong. =D I had 4 shots of coffee that night na, and it may have affected my thought-processing.

No comments: