Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Einstein's Dreams / Weekend

About 12 or 13 years ago when I was in high school, my literature "coach" provided me a bunch of vignettes in newsprint to demonstrate a writing style she called "perspective-setting". It's part of my exposure for an upcoming creative writing competition for high school students at that time.

The central theme of the collection was 'TIME'.

The vignettes demonstrated how, if we look at the concept of time from different angles and references, we can explain certain behaviors of our friends, lovers, family, God, pets, enemies, colleagues and of people who are perfect strangers to us.

In one story, there is proof that time slows down the farther you go from the earth's core. Thus, people who wish to gain a few seconds more in life scramble for the higher grounds. Going and living 'Higher' gains stature for those who are successful. And hence everybody wants to be of 'High' status.

In another story, there exists an area where time stops. People who are caught in it are mostly parents in the act of hugging their children and lovers cherishing their 'most memorable moment'. Unfortunately, some choose to remain trapped in this area even if the children and lovers have already moved on away from this area. And so those who choose to remain in the area where time stops doesn't see nor feel how the rest of the world has progressed.

There are 20 or 30 more similar theories of time, all of them fascinating and intriguing. All these have provided me some scientific and philosophical reasoning to explain why the people around me (and more importanly myself) choose the actions they choose.

Now why am I posting this? Last Saturday, I was browsing at Powerbooks and came across EINSTEIN'S DREAMS.

It was a thrilling flashback for me. A recommended read to everyone. :D

--------------------

On to lighter stuff:

Last Friday I got to see Ice Age 2. Very hilarious! I think I was those who laughed the loudest inside the cinema. It's just what I needed for a very stressful quarter of work so far.

After the movie, Richard said that he missed the 'inuman' days. MJ and I agreed to go for one-or-two. We had beer and fries at Merk's. Drank, exchanged stories, at ang walang kamatayang topic na 'MJ needs a boyfriend soon + Swerte ang mapapangasawa ni Stip + who's it gonna be for Richard'.

Saturday was badminton day --- I had a tournament at the Zone in Makati. My partner turned out to be a 'Johnny Bravo' (picture tight-fitting muscle shirt and tight-and-skimpy shorts) who competes professionally in bodybuilding. We almost made it to the finals but our last elimination game was very terrible. Johnny Bravo was all-power and no finesse and made a lot of errors. But nevertheless, it was fun. My crosscourt backhand drop shot is more spectacular than usual.

Saturday night was a post-birthday dinner celebration with my family at Super Bowl of China. It's my first time in 2 months to see all my siblings and parents seated together in one table. :D

Shopping: bought (1) Nautica board shorts (2) a simple white shirt from F&H (3) a couple of PC games from Datablitz (4) DVDs of Fearless, Lord of War and Nanny McPhee and (5) a couple of books from Powerbooks. Almost bought a Toshiba laptop (there's a BPI installment madness at that time) and a Playstation Portable, but my willpower was just strong enough to prevent me from buying them compulsively.

That's a nice weekend. :D

No comments: