Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My 2007 Tribute Post

2007 has been a great year for me, and it is with great pleasure that I announce here the top 10 persons/group of persons whom I am very thankful to for making the year 2007 fun, live-able and inspiring.




10. Pinched my butt, made everyone laugh and convinced me to run -- WHICHIE

Hey Chie, you're absolutely the funniest person I've known so far. For a pretty small guy, you've got the gift to spread a lot of cheer around. I think that's one of your greater purposes on earth (hahaha!).

One other thing that I am thankful for Chie is that he recruited me to my first 'official' foot race. I can run, but I wasn't confident that I can run as good as the others. Chie lectured me that everybody has to start somewhere, even at the bottom, and to prove his point he told me that his running time is among the worst in the group of races but that didn't stop him from participating.

Nice words from a small guy with a big heart and great spirit. You can be a life coach.

For 2008, I hope to participate in a full marathon.

Cheers dude!

9. Capture life's best moments and wonders -- JAMIE a.k.a. JIGSAW

This year, I officially declared photography as my hobby. I knew the basic concepts and composition techniques for point-and-shoot photography, but it was Jigsaw and his smugmug gallery which finally convinced me to upgrade to a DSLR camera and build-up my photography skills.

I've been enjoying seeing life through a viewfinder.

8. Distract me from the frustrations of work -- JANICE

Roughly for two hours per work-week, Janice and I get together. It's very useful time spent for coping with work-related stress, or brainstorming for a reasonable stance on an upcoming company policy, or discussing ways to be creative at the workplace (or work-related contests haha...), or pondering on the meaning of life, or getting her excited about her upcoming wedding to Glenn.

Many many many thanks for 2007!

7. Remind me that I'm mortal -- Blos/Ron/Ron/Leo/Kat/Valy

The mountaineer in me has been dormant for the last five years, but I was lucky to come across this cool bunch of people who love adventure and the great outdoors. It is a mountaineer's desire to always reach the peak; it's his proclamation that he has conquered the mountain and all the challlenges it laid before him.

And how does mountaineering remind me that I'm mortal? It does so by making me wonder about the awesome landscape ("Mortals can't make that," I'd say), and by finding contentment despite great physical exhaustion ("I made it alive!").

But one of the greater proofs of my mortality is this: fear. I felt that when we got lost in Mt. Cristobal. I felt that we had to cross a very thin trail with 200 feet near-vertical drops on both sides (one wrong step and you're gone...). I felt fear when I had to traverse a very narrow ledge with my 20-kilo fullpack amidst gusty winds. I felt fear when we got lost in Mt. Cristobal.

But fear = adventure in my books. Hahahaha! Thanks guys!


6. Showed me that "Happily Ever After" exists in real life -- Nikko and Dee

Even after these two lovebirds tied the knot, para pa rin silang nagliligawan everytime I meet them. And I meant that as a compliment. They're the most cheerful couple that I know, and their cheerfulness rubs off to practically everyone they're with.


5. For the One-or-twos -- BAI


My current job requires a lot of technical report writing, and very often I have to work under a very tight schedule. Since it's still "writing", I come across "technical writer's block" occasionally.

Now enter Bai and his invitations for one-or-two beers. Just grab a quick meal, lounge over one-or-two (sometimes three, other times four) beers and have a leisurely conversation (read: kuwentuhang 'toma') about anything in general.

Now the San Mig lights have a way of removing the stress from my head, and it also puts me in the mood to continue with my geek/work chores. At the end of the drinking session, I find myself able to type out my reports faster than a speeding bullet. When I review my 'Edgar Allan Poe' reports (Edgar Allan Poe always wrote under the influence of alcohol) the following day, I'm pleased to find out that only some minor revisions are needed on my previous night's works.

The one-or-twos did help me with my work this year (if I get a high IPF this year, it's partially because of the San Mig Lights), but those sessions with Bai are, for me, time well-spent talking about work, hobbies, careers, life and leisure.


4. For a great cause -- CARMELA

The country can use more people like Carmela.

She biked for 20 days from Manila to Mindanao in the "Bike for Life" event to raise funds for the Cancer Warriors Foundation, and also raise awareness for the fight against Cancer. And she did that while maintaining a regular job with HP. She took all her vacation leaves just for that.

She loves to run, swim and bike. She's a triathlete. She goes on adventure races. And she loves to eat, nevermind if she goes for seconds and thirds. (Hey, those are compliments!)

She's one hell of a supergirl. And despite everything she's attained, she's still mabait and humble.

Carmela sent out a video link to let everyone who's interested get a glimpse of what her cause is all about, which is truly noble: Carmela's blog

3. Keeping the faith -- GELAND

Some people would think that if they knew all of Geland's hardships this year, they'd qualify him to be one of the unluckiest people in the world. He had so many tough challenges thrown in his path this year, challenges so difficult that can make grown-up men cry. Most people would readily curse God and the rest of the world had they endured the same challenges Geland faced, but he is one of the few who firmly believe that whatever happens to him is God's will and that God will see him through it.

He survived the year's hardships with a lot of work and a lot of faith. Nakakabilib. I wish that if ever I find myself in the same situation as his in the future, I would have the same strength of character as him and endure the challenges successfully as he did.


2. The value of friendship -- QUITO

Dec 31, 2007. My mobile rings. Caller ID "QUITO" is displayed on my phone.

Me: "Yeah man? What's up?"
Kits: "Hey dude! Happy New Year to you!"
Me: "Happy New Year to you too. Give my regards to Marge and your ma too."
Kits: "Sure man. Pare, want to spend New Year's Eve with us here? I bought 4 kilos of prime rib. Grill-grill tayo, inom until midnight and kuwentuhan with my mom and Marge. You prefer Jack Daniels now, right? Meron ako nun! You can sleep over, we've a spare room for you here."
Me: "Thanks for the offer, Kits, but I'm in Batangas. I was on duty until this morning eh. So, what's new?"
Kits: "Well anyway, since you're not coming over, magtatampo ako sa 'yo!"
Me: "What?! Hahaha... you're kidding, man."
Kits: "No I'm not dude."
Me: "Seriously?" (i was snickering at this point...)
Kits: "Seriously."
... from the background, Marge's voice can be heard.
Marge: "Yes Stiff. He's serious. You're Quito's guest of honor for tonight sana."
Me: "Whoa? Ano yang guest-of-honor, guest-of-honor mong nalalaman?
Kits: "Well... I realized that we haven't seen much of each other this year..."
Me: "Ha? Didn't we just go bar-hopping last month? Inabot pa nga tayo ng 4 am!"
Kits: "Okay, since we're best friends..."
Me: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. We're best friends. And we toast to that right? Can we do it over the phone na lang?"
Kits: "Seriously. WE... ARE... BEST... FRIENDS."
Me: "Ba't parang galit ka?"
Kits: "...."
Me: "Hey Kits, I was just kidding. Ops, ops, ops, bawal magtampo. As you were saying, we are best friends. I acknowledge that. Since college. Even after graduation and I started working. And you got married and had kids. Which is why I felt privileged to be Maqui's godfather."
Kits: "Yeah man. I don't know if you'd believe me, I only have a few friends. And you're the only best friend in that group."
Me: "..."
Kits: "O ba't tumahimik ka?"
Me: "Can't believe I'm hearing this from you, dude. Hindi kaya bagay sa 'yo!! hahaha!! And you're saying this while you're still sober?! Hahaha!"
Kits: "Stop laughing nga pare!"

The conversation went on for about another 20 minutes. To make the long story short, I can't go to their place so Quito had to tell me over the phone that he is hoping that he and I will still remain best friends even when we're in our 60's or 70's. And that was his New Year's toast to me.

Don't worry, Kits. I will.


1. My purpose in life -- =)

You know who you are. Thanks for being my inspiration. =)

---------------------------

The honorable mentions include the fishyfishy group (actually, Hall of Famers na kayo), the weekend warriors, Maqui and Jutes, Glenn and Emer, Mommy G, Lissa, Karen, my high school batchmates, my titos and titas and cousins in New York and New Jersey, Benny and Anne, Cris and Kaye, Chito, Marlon Dejadina, Jackie Ruth, Tita Virgie (Sydney) and Aling Apeng. Many many thanks for crossing my life in 2007.

Unfortunately, there is one person on my 'dishonorable mention' list for 2007. Bahala na si Lord sa kanya.

And to all, have an awesome 2008 ahead! And thanks for visiting my blog!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww.. glad to be a 'distraction' hehe. Same to you Stip =) Happy New Year!
p.s. sobrang kulet ng huling hirit about the dishonorable mention! wahahaha!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. keyword ba dun ang "honor"?

Happy new year stippy.

stip said...

Happy New Year sa inyong dalawa! Mwah! =) May 2008 be good for us all!

Haha... aliw ako nung naisip kong isingit yung dishonorable mention. pampa-alma din yun.

hephaestus said...

stephen is evillll ! =P

Kulotsalot said...

bahave stippy. happy new year!!! balita ko unahan kayo ni marijo magkwento. haha naunahan ka nya. =P

stip said...

emer: happy new year, dude-pare.

dili ako dautan, hoy! Pagkabait ko nga e. yung usa dautan na, yawa pa. tama ba syntax ko, hehe?

tinters: ha, good boy naman ako e! happy new year tinters and buddy! next time we meet, i'm betting may ipapakilala si marijo sa atin (uli).

sayang si roms, 'no? nyahahaha...

U.T.O.Y said...

dear istepin,

tats ako sa mga umuulagwa mong damdamin para sa kin....teka medyo may kabadingan yata yaon...ulitin natin...

dear istepin,

tats ako sa mga isinulat mo tungkol sa akin. ipinangako ko sa aking sarili na ang problema ay parang kama lamang. may parteng matigas na ayaw mo at me parte rin naman malambot na gustong gusto ng nespa na laway mo. pero hindi naman laging may problema kaya naman nagpapasalamat pa rin ako at buhay pa ang pogi. nakatulong din ang mga manak-naka mong pagkaladkad sa kin sa kung san san. sa mga nilamon yata natin umayos ang kabila kong kndney. anut anupaman, daghang salamat at best wishes sa yo at kay toot toot. kailan nga ba ang sakal?

hephaestus said...

stip!

i-post mo na next post mo!

hahahahaha!

stip said...

dear utoy: happy new year din, p're. salamat sa pagiging kaladkarin nung 2007, haha. nakatulong ka rin naman sa mga lakad ko -- mas masaya kasi kung may katuwang sa lakwatsa at kalokohan.

sakal? hahaha... medyo malayo pa yan sa aking isipan.

dear emer: ayan, nag-post na ko ng bago. hala, tawa!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the support stip!!! Keep on blogging! Your online journal puts a smile on the face of a lot of your readers. Have a blessed new year! =)

Anonymous said...

I PROTEST!

sige na nga, kahit you're a no-show at my EXCLUSIVE party last new year and you disappointed my ma and the kids for not showing up:

Thanks for 2007 pare!! And may your sex life be as good as mine! Bwahahahaha...