Sunday, January 20, 2008

Me: The Frustrated Drummer

I was suppose to make a post on two movies I watched recently, but I got hold of something which has gotten me excited the last 24 hours.

Okay, okay... just to put the movies aside --- I liked "I AM LEGEND", contrary to the feedback by Alvin and Geland (they think it's no different from "The OMEGA MAN"). There is a big difference between the 1950's book of the same title but both have equally great resolutions at the end of the story.

The second movie, "SWEENEY TODD" starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter, was a surprising find for me. I had no expectations on the film when I entered the moviehouse. I was surprised to find out that it was a musical. A gruesome musical. How does one manage the conflicting feelings of morbidness that you get when you watch a psycho-killer movie with the feeling of elation (and last-song-syndrome humming) one gets when he finds himself humming to the music in the presentation? Overall rating: 4 out of 5 stars on my book.

Now, with those things aside, let's get to drumming.

I've always been impressed with drummers and have wanted to be one ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, our family was the classical bunch. I was brought up in the presence of a piano, clarinets, violins, flutes and a saxophone.

One summer vacation, I decided to pretend that I was a drummer. I got a couple of old cans (a Nido can and a Baguio Oil can), a large water drum and one of my mom's old pots. I used a curtain rod hack-sawed into two as my first drumsticks. And I beat away to the tune of Bon Jovi and Cranberry songs.

I and my makeshift drum kit sounded terrible. So I gave up.

Enter the present.

I retrieved from Manila my last unopened (and unseen) Christmas present. It was a drumkit, a Stratocaster and a microphone. Hold your horses. They aren't the real stuff. It was something better.

They were accessories for my Playstation3. oh-my-gawd!

So in the last 36 hours, I've been drumming away happily. I ain't no expert yet, but give me a week and I'd be able to do those percussion tricks that you get to hear on your CDs.

1 comment:

U.T.O.Y said...

sayang ang 130 pesos ko sa IAM LEGEND. too boring pare. alang aksyon...

SWEENEY TODD ok ang effects. parang kill bill.