Monday, October 01, 2007

GREEN-WHITE-FIGHT!

"2 is greater than 3" -- Franz Pumaren, head coach for DLSU Green Archers, after winning over Ateneo in yesterday's game.

If there's one thing that can quickly kindle my La Sallian pride, it's an Ateneo-La Salle UAAP game. Even if I have to be content with watching it from my televesion set (it's really a great challenge just to get hold of those tickets), I get this feeling of ecstasy every time an Archer does a nice jump shot or makes a good steal. Hell, you'd see me shouting at the TV set cheering my alma mater on.

Yup, I'm not cheering solely for the basketball team. I'm cheering for my alma mater.

And when the team wins, it's the whole University that wins -- the students, faculty, alumni and even the support staff (janitorial, security, concessionaires, etc.).

I also believe that as far as most La Sallians are concerned, last night was THE championship game. Although DLSU still needs to face undefeated University of the East this week, it doesn't matter much for the community. If DLSU wins against UE, it's just icing on the cake. If we lose, I don't think it'll sting us much.

photo courtesy of ARCHERPRIDE.COM

Now what did Coach Franz really mean when he remarked that "2 is greater than 3"?

A member of my alumni group couldn't have answered it better:

[1] Winning 2 games that really matters is greater than 3 games
[2] DLSU Men's Basketball team's current 2nd place standing in UAAP 70 is greater than Ateneo's 3rd place
[3] DLSU's No. 2 Philippine University ranking in the educational survey is greater than Ateneo's number 3.
[4] All of the above. =)

Bill Sison writes that this rivalry "is a passion that will never die out".

"When you leave an Atenean and a La Sallian in a room together, one will always think that he is number one, and the other is number two. They simply refuse to lose to each other. It's as simple as that."

Hail!

3 comments:

hephaestus said...

Televesion? Yuck. Turn off! =P
Peace pre...

Anonymous said...

saktan si stip!!!

isa kang malouh fernandez!!! masama ka! masama!! pero mas sexy ka naman sa kanya. hehe

pasalubong ha.

stip said...

haha... typo error, pero i'll leave it as it is. looks funny. hehe...

oy whichie!!! talo kayo! hihihi... pero it's a great game!