Wednesday, October 03, 2007

At a Crossroad

This morning, one of my office colleagues -- Bai -- forwarded to me a broadcast for a career opportunity with another group in our organization. I suddenly found myself at a crossroad, standing there and gawking at three possibilities.

If I take the first route, I decide to stick with my current job --- a lot of number crunching and technical report writing. There's the occasional preparation of high-level presentation materials. All the activities in this route shall eventually lead to a 300-million-dollar project for my company. What's bad about this route is that it's already boring to me. Imagine yourself driving along a very beautiful farmland. At first, one feels energized with the landscape. But if the scenery stays the same for the next 300 miles or so, one gets bored of it.

The second route is an unchartered road. Nobody knows what you'll find there. If there are monsters or bogpits that can trap you, you can die on this road. There are rumors though that somewhere along it is the proverbial pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. If ever that I'll be trodding on this road, I need all the good luck charms and guardian angels I can muster. I have two further options on WHEN to take this road: either (1) I wait until someone calls me forth, gives me a map and a packhorse with all sorts of supplies to journey down the road, or (2) I lose all sense of practicality, gather my guts and take the first step blindly.

The third route has a clear sign, saying "This Way to the Kingdom of S and D, and we'd like to have you there!". It's a well-used road with several journeymen plying it, ask directions from and have one-or-two grafs with. The problem with this road is that it's downhill all-the-way, a relatively easy journey. Settling at the Kingdom of S and D will not be a problem for me or my short-term career wants. But what if in the future I need (or wish?) to leave the Kingdom of S and D to pursue other wants? Nobody knows for sure if that the King of S and D fancies you, he'll let you take your leave. Then it's going to be an uphill climb for me again in order to return to the crossroads.

I really need to be careful in deciding which road to take. I've already made the mistake of taking the BLUE PILL before. (The BLUE PILL will be my next post).

No comments: