Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Funny Horror Story

It's about time that I share this horrific but funny incident. Sorry Kits, hehe.

Remember that some years back, the most terrifying movie would be RINGU? It was the original Japanese version of the movie re-made by Hollywood as "The Ring".

Anyway, it was a very stormy Friday night. I took the risk of driving to Manila as soon as I got off from work at Batangas. Because of the heavy rains, the South Luzon Expressway was flooded so I decided to pass time at Alabang Town Center.

At the mall, my best friend Quito chanced upon me at Starbucks. We get to meet about once every couple of months as I'm already employed while he was still technically 'bumming' around. He just came from the liquor store to re-stock his and his mom's respective liquor stash --- whiskey for him and brandy for her.

He and his mom were planning on drinking that night (he's got the coolest mom that I ever know). To make the story short, he invited me to wait the storm at their house nearby and join them for drinks.

We arrived at Quito's house shortly. His mom hasn't seen me in a while, and in-between generous pours of hard liquor, she'd grill me on my work and if the company is treating me well (her husband used to work for the company that I am working for now, and she has some hinanakit about it). The rains and winds were becoming stronger, and because of the amount of whiskey I've downed so far, Quito's mom offered me to spend the night there. A quick call to my mom was done and it was settled.

Quito suggested that we go watch "RINGU", which he just borrowed earlier that day from one of their neighbors. Both of us are horror movie buffs. After changing into my pangtulog and setting up the movie, we watched it with the lights out. I was on the couch, Quito was on a La-Z boy while his mom seated herself on a rocking chair. Quito's mom brought out blankets for the 3 of us. The blowing wind and pouring rain added a bit of spookiness to the situation. Occasionally, one of us would let out their own version of a scream, jump off from our seat or cringe inwards. It's a really scary movie.

His mom adjourned at around 11 pm, about halfway into the movie. She found the movie too scary and begged off.

Remember that the last scene was that of a dried-up well where Sadako comes crawling out, and transcends the TV dimension and crawls out of the TV itself? At that point, I and Quito were already kidding each other who gets to turn off the TV and VCD player when the movie's done. After some persuasion and logical arguments (Quito was closer to the TV), Quito had to do it.

The player is located below the TV --- when you want to switch it off, your face will be just in front of the TV. When the movie ended (with some residual scaredy-cat feeling in the house), Quito got up reluctantly to turn off the TV and the VCD player. I kidded that "Hala, malapit ka sa TV. Kukunin ka ni Sadako bwahahaha."

"F*ck you, man. Unless Sadako calls at sinagot ko yung phone, that won't happen man, he replied.

At the point where the VCD tray was dispensing out the CD, the phone rang.

Nagkatinginan kami ni Kits.

The phone was still ringing.

On the third ring, Quito dashed to the couch where I was sitting and jumped on me. Major ouch.

At that point, Quito's mom came out of her room with the intent to answer the phone. When we saw that she was about to pick up the phone, Quito and I both shouted "WAAAAAGGG!!!".

Nagulat siya. She goes, "Why shouldn't I answer the phone? And Kits, bakit mo dinadaganan si Stiff?!"

Since we couldn't explain it, she picked up the phone despite our pleadings not to answer it.

"Hello? Ahh... Dinjo. He's here. Andito rin si Stiff.... yes, you can come over. They started drinking earlier..." A few more words, and Quito's ma put down the phone.

"Quito, Dinjo's coming over daw. May dala daw siyang bagong horror movie na Japanese, nood daw kayo."

At that point, the two of us were already laughing.

Hahaha.

Happy halloween, everyone!

No comments: