Monday, September 29, 2008

ULTIMATE!!!

...my legs ache... *groan*

Yesterday was the 2nd day of the Malakas at Maganda ultimate frisbee tournament league. I was one of the rookie players in the team, so I wasn't expecting much field time for the games and had my DSLR cam at-hand for some sports/action photography. The team had to go against 3 other teams yesterday, and each game lasts for 70 minutes.

I ended up playing for about 60-65 minutes for each game mainly because the team was undermanned yesterday, and there were only just enough of us to play the required positions in the game.

That's more than 3 hours of running and sprinting all over the field. And sadly, no action shots.

But, I scored 6 goals and had a positive feeling that I contributed to the team's victory.

My 10 Reasons Why Ultimate Frisbee is a Great Sport

1. Lose the inches. In two weekends of playing, I've lost 1 inch on my waistline (from 31 down to 30) despite gaining 2 pounds on my weight.

2. Tone your legs. All that sprinting, jumping and running around to get possession of the disc will definitely work out your calves, quads and hamstring muscles.

3. Define your ab muscles. Granting that your body fat is not that much, you'll definitely start seeing definition on your ab section. Playing frisbee involves use of the core muscles maybe for all those breaks and sudden turns and mid-air twists, and certainly for those long throws.

4. Cardiovascular workout. Healthier heart and healthier lungs. Easily burn off 500 calories in one game! Second wind gets you going.

5. There's a science involved. Aerodynamics actually. If you can identify the factors of air resistance, disc rotation, tilt, release velocity and direction, you can be confident of the trajectory of the frisbee. Science helps in making you figure out how those some of those spectacular throws are possible.

6. Pain is my friend. Well, I enjoy the feeling of self-induced (muscle) pain. It gives me the feeling of an increased performance level. =) No pain, no gain. I believe that pain makes you a stronger person.

7. Girls. Self-explananatory. =)

8. For the lover of the elements. Play under the sun or the rain, with or without winds, on a dry or muddy field, the game's still on. And doing rolls or dives or slides on the grass is fun!

9. It's fast, and it's a team sport. Mostly physical, but some mental skills also required. Knowing how to utilize all of your team's strengths and cover the weaknesses pays off. It takes all of the team's effort to score a single goal -- handlers, defenders, receivers and runners.

10. It's a cool sport, but the community is cooler. Being a "new" sport, the frisbee community is pretty close-knit, friendly and the potential for networking is high. Moreover, most of the veteran players are more than willing to teach the rookies their tips and tricks in order to improve their skill levels.

Ultimate!!!

No comments: