Sunday, July 27, 2008

Elements

1. WATER

So that's how scuba diving feels like. It feels like a pre-meditated suicide.

A couple of weekends back, one of my colleagues sort of kidnapped me to accompany him on his dive trip. He figured that I'll finally do Discover Scuba (which I did) while he goes for a couple of dives somewhere nearby.

Note to readers: I'm paranoid about open waters.
Another note to readers: I've drowned twice when I was younger, and had been resuscitated twice. (Yep, the whole routine of one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-five-and-six-and-seven-and-BLOW --- CPR). I'm living my third life already.

I decided on that day to finally confront my paranoia of the deep blue sea.

By mid-morning, I've been geared up into a wet suit, don on a snorkel mask and a pair of fins.

I breezed through the basics -- deflating the BCD, inflating the BCD, worked on a few hand signals, did mask clearing, retrieved my regulator and scubadived in the pool. Breathe in, breathe out. I'm okay. The instructor was happy with me.

The hard part for me is doing it in open water. Hahaha!

Swallowing my fear, I took the plunge in the sea.
There's an initial rush of adrenaline.
And found myself going deeper and deeper.
And then some peace.
And found myself smiling.

So that is how diving feels like. It's the same feeling that I get when I let go of a burden. Things feel lighter, I get to enjoy the scenery and everything just passes you by.

I think scuba diving is going to be an interesting... uhm... pasttime. Not a potential hobby for me (yet), but definitely a pasttime.


2. FIRE

Lightning suppossedly doesn't strike the same spot twice. But it can strike a nearby area without any doubt. Strike two.

I've a pretty good idea where it's gonna strike next.


3. AIR

I bought the whole MAXIMUM RIDE series by James Patterson a couple of nights ago. I finished the first two books in less than 24 hours.

I breezed through it. It really has been an adventurous read so far.


4. EARTH

I'm hoping for good weather this weekend. I'm going mountain-climbing. Yahoooo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stip!

Glad to know you conquered your fear... with regular swimming training, bike na lang, pwede ka na magtriathlon! Hehehe... =)

Carmela

stip said...

Hey Carmela!

I'm starting to notice a trend here... i think it's called peer pressure. Hahaha!

Hope all's well with your triathlon activities. One of these days, I'll tag along to get some action photos of you and your team. =)