Thursday, February 07, 2008

Abstinence Day 1

The first day of abstinence is always the hardest for me because it is also my self-obligated day for fasting.

I barely finished my running circuit around the compound last night. My regular running program is a 6 km jog to be done in 40 minutes or less (my best time so far is 38 minutes 12 seconds on my Timex). However, having nothing but a single simple meal for the whole day proved to be challenging on my endurance. I couldn’t stride as far as I used to, nor can I maintain a steady pace. I have that light-headed feeling associated with hunger. My stomach’s been growling the whole evening but I stuck to my commitment to fast and abstain.

I just wonder how those ultra-marathoners and ironman athletes are able to cope with their activities on no-meals/no-breaks events? Probably specialized metabolism.

After jogging, I had volunteered to cook for a colleague’s Chinese New Year’s Eve countdown party (my colleague has expressed that he is in serious financial crisis, but some of us guys were willing to chip in to have more fare on the table). The smell of bangus sisig frying in my kitchen was a great temptation.

Next time around, I won’t volunteer to cook on days when I go fasting.

1 day down, 39 more to go.

No comments: