Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mid Week Ghost Story

I need to write about this. Today is Wednesday, just a few minutes shy from midnight.

I’m doing some engineering drawings at my room in the housing compound since 10 o’ clock this evening. My personal deadline to finish these drawings is by lunchtime tomorrow, so I’ve planned on doing some work tonight and complete it the following day at the office.

My workdesk is at the corner of my room. I only had two mood lamps and the laptop screen as light sources for the whole room (at nights and when in my personal space, I prefer working in the dark). I was seated facing the windows and my back against the rest of the room: a bookshelf filled with a motley of horror, action and fantasy literature, a 2-seater sofabed, the TV rack housing my prized 29” Sony Trinitron, video game console, DVD player and an assortment of DVDs, and the kitchen area.

Ricky Martin was singing “Shake Your Bon-Bon” on my IPOD speakers, and the ancient airconditioning unit in my room was making that buzzing-humming sound in the background. I was in MY zone, totally shut-out from everything else except the music, the airconditioning, and my work. I was deciding on the color assignments that I’ll be using for each addition that I will make on the engineering diagram I was working on, when a high pitch blip from behind me sounded off and made me jump from my seat.

In a split-second, I looked back and saw the TV turn on by itself! That’s when I went, “Shit!”

And in the next split second as the television bathed the 2-seater sofa in its eerie-white glow, I thought I saw someone (or something?) sitting on the sofa. He/She/It was in an ‘attenshun’ posture, not slouching, and staring at the TV. It looked eerily familiar; it looked like a couple of my acquaintances. And I went “howley shit....”. And I blinked my eyes.

And then he/she/it wasn’t there anymore. But the TV was still on.

I got off my chair, turned off the TV and removed its plug from the socket.

And I went back to my work, listening to Gwen Stefani. But I can’t help but glance at the TV and the sofabed every so often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's why i used to study with the tv switched on...