Sunday, February 19, 2006

Social Life Suspended, et al

Three days from now, the refinery I work in will undergo a 30+ days maintenance shutdown. It's the start of a 12-hour shifting schedule for me as part of the technical coverage team. Plus it's still work-as-usual for my normal work activities (planning, project development, etc.).

I'm actually psyching myself up in preparation for a month's dormancy on my social life, give or take five days. Hoooboy...

Mental note to myself: send messages to appropriate parties that until this tribulation is over, I won't be able to play airsoft, attend parties, go out on that date my best friend has set up for me (he thinks he's finally found my soulmate --- actually got to talk to her over the phone last weekend), attend family reunions, celebrate my birthday as I usually do, have coffee with friends, go on weekend DVD hunting sprees, play badminton, malling, drinking, and god-knows-whatever-future-event-I'll-miss...

At least I get to save a bit on gas and mall money.

On to other "trivial" matters.

A. BOOKS

Finished reading three books in the last ten days. I've been a voracious reader recently--- reading is still the best stress-reliever for me specially with my current work assignment.

Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian" is fantastic! That is, if you have an interest on vampiric lore and history.
Steve Berry's "The Third Secret" is an intriguing piece of fiction. It's both interesting and light -- I finished reading it in one seating.
Stephen King's latest novel "The Cell" is interesting. He's got a unique doomsday scenario offered in this book. Surprisingly, I agree to one of the philosophical theories he used in the novel: man's core is madness... strip away his intelligence and what will be left be a being of madness and not of helplessness.

B. GAMES

Finished Shadows of the Collosus. 5/5 on my rating scheme. If it were available on the XBox I'd get a copy for Glenn to show him what he's missing.

Currently playing Wild Arms 4.

For my shutdown tribulation, I've got Prince of Persia: Two Thrones at the sideline.

C. Physical Fitness

Chest-to-waist ratio is already 1.14. The average man is at 1.04. Body-builders normally have a ratio of 1.40 and up, but I'm only targetting for 1.20.

D. Dating Scene

Okay okay... I will go out with this nice, smart lady Quito is setting me up with. After the shutdown.

For starters, she sounded smart and cheery over the phone. The way I figured it out, she's currently taking her MBA.

Just like my ... uhmm... crush. :D

I haven't gone on a blind date for 3 years. Hope I still have what it takes to be a respectable date, hahaha.

E. Music

Recent purchases: (1) Brownman Revival (2) Santana (3) Jackson 5 Greatest Hits.

F. Work

On my secret project, the study is becoming more and more technical as we begin detailed design specifications and economic justifications.

I'm currently behind on one of my projects by two weeks ... need to close this out by the coming week.

No comments: