Monday, February 13, 2006

One Week at K.L.

I just got back from Kuala Lumpur last Saturday night. I attended a one-week training course for a simulation program that will be core to my current job assignment. The program is a very challenging application; it can even get on your nerves because of the configuration and troubleshooting. Thank goodness that the class (there were 12 of us), place, topic and instructors were such that learning was conducive, fun and satisfying.

That's the work part of my trip. On the non-work part:

1. On a daily basis, I grab either an irish caffe americano or a double mocha to-go at the Starbucks in front of my hotel. Hehehe... it's a nice feeling for me to sip on coffe on my way to Petronas Towers.

2. Finished reading two books: The HISTORIAN by Elizabeth Kostova, and The THIRD SECRET by Steve Berry. Both were satisfying reads; I'd recommend both books to other readers. Kostova's book had a more tedious plot though. Because I'm such a bookworm, I've been sleeping 4-5 hours a day only during that trip.

3. Had dinner at Benny and Anne's apartment; met their 1+ year old baby angel ANGEL. Sabi ni Anne, mukhang "charming" daw ako sa mga bata. Wala pa daw kasing 10 minutes eh dumadaldal na sa 'kin at nagpapa-impress while oftentimes ANGEL tends to be a shy person.

4. Exchanged stories with Benny and Anne -- career, work gossip, personal stuff (pakasal na daw ako), own beliefs, choice of books, how to take care of kids, etc.

5. Bought some casual shirts at a factory outlet sale.

6. Scrounged K.L.'s version of Greenhills for a PS2 accessory. I almost bought a PSP because they've got units that can play pirated copies of the game!

7. Had to bear with the dragon dancers every night around 1030 pm when they do their thing at every floor in the hotel.

8. Dinner at hawker's center with Anne, Benny, Ronn, Cris, Erick and Cong. This is the only time na nakapag-pork ako sa KL. Kuwentuhan uli (ang ingay namin!) over a sumptuous dinner of chicken fish, lemon chicken, pork spareribs and Tiger beer.

9. Went to the hotel's gym on T/Th 630-800 a.m. just to stick to my physical fitness program.

10. Visited my favorite KL shop: Kinokuniya bookstore bwahaha. Bought only one book though.

11. Partied with Cris, Ronn, Tim and Kodaka-san on Friday night --- went to the Beach Club, then off to Hard Rock Cafe, and finally at the Zouk Club. Got myself a free shirt from a launch party at Zouk.

12. Meals -- I've only narrow options because I have a weak tolerance for curry. Buti na lang there's a Yoshinoya at KLCC, so I alternated Japanese food with Hainanese Chicken Rice. hehehe. :D

Many thanks to Frat (who gave me a premier pass at KLIA so I was able to breeze through immigration), Benny & Anne, Cris, Ronn, Erick and Cong for a great week at KL!

No comments: