Monday, July 18, 2005

+ Weekend Bs!

Naaah... the title doesn't mean "Weekend Bullsh*t". Actually, it's the contrary. :D

----------------------

B1: Badminton

I competed in a company-sponsored badminton tournament last Saturday. Me and my partner played 4 matches and we were vying actually for a slot in the championships.

With the exception of a few mishits on my backcourt dropshots, I'd say my game was better than decent last Saturday. The tournament organizers decided to partner me with a novice female player. Hahaha... Part of me was glad (that means the organizers think that my badminton skills are good enough to compensate for my partner's lack of skill and still provide decent competition against our opponents) while a part of me was disappointed (out of the 4 teams we played against, there were two teams which were men's doubles).

Anyway, I was literally Superman on the playing court during our matches because I had to lunge, hop, run and smash at majority of the playing area. But I guess my performance wasn't good enough. We were short of one set-win to qualify for the finals. Out of 8 sets played, we managed to win only 5.

But a lot of spectators commented that we had a great chance of winning the finals match if we made it through. The occasional "Nice one, Stip!", "Good one!" and the "Ooooohhh!!!" cheers from the crowd after a long rally or a spectacular save/attack was rewarding in a way.

Oh well, those are the breaks. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Chairman's Cup in September.

Oh, and my butt and thighs were sore the next day when I woke up. Too much lunging from chasing the shuttlecock all over the court, I suppose.

---------------------

B2: Bookworming Harry Potter 6

Okay this is a new record for me. I finished a Harry Potter book in less than 24 hours. It took me a about 15 hours to read through the whole thing, all in one day.

I got HP6: The Half-Blood Prince at lunchtime last Saturday (yep, I ran off to the mall in-between my matches to claim my book reservation). I read the first chapter in-between my last two matches, another two chapters before I slept that night, about 20 chapters as soon as I woke up at 7:30 am on Sunday until lunch time, left our house in Manila and began my drive back to Batangas. I made a stop-over at Petrol SLEX for Starbucks. Hehehe... I finished the last four chapters there.

My insights: HP6 lacks climax and conflict, but I suppose JK Rowling is preparing the stage for a grand finale for HP7. And there are two major twists in the story which left me guessing and made my expectations for HP7 exceedingly high. I wonder how JK Rowling will conclude the series...

But still, it's a good read. Not as good as HP3 or HP4 but still a worthwhile read. If you ask me, I paid 1299 Php for the book but I think I'll place readership value at 899 Php tops.

-----------------------

B3: Bidyo Games (sic)

Finally, after two months of scrounging pirated PS2 game retailers, I managed to find a copy of Digital Devil Saga and Arc the Lad. That'll take care of my PS2 lull for a few weeks. Already started playing DDS last night.

And those are my weekend Bs.

Bwahahahahaha. Baliw. :D

No comments: