Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Singing Francis M

I’m a terrible singer. I used to be a tenor during my elementary Glee club days (yup, believe it or not), and during my choir stint then our group won for two consecutive years at the Yamaha Con-Con (Concert Contest) district level. I even have a few lines on solo for those contests. In particular, these are the only lines that I recall:

Kung nag-iisa’y alaala
Ang yakap mo at pagmamahal
Hinding-hindi malilimutan
Ngayong walang nagmamahal.
At ang lumipas na pag-ibig ay alaala
Ng puso kong…


I can’t remember the last couple of lines. I occasionally hum this song when I’m swimming or in the shower.

Then, puberty sets in and my voice cracked. I can’t carry a decent tune afterwards, hahaha.

Nowadays, I usually shun singing in public. Unless there’s alcohol involved. Everytime there’s a videoke gathering amongst friends and colleagues, I rarely volunteer to pick a song and sing a tune.

Except for one song in particular.

It’s Kaleidoscope World by Francis M.

Sadly, Patay na si Kiko. He passed away last Friday.

I’m pretty sure that there are thousands of blogs paying tribute to Francis M, one of Pinoy music’s icons. Back during my glee club days, I’ve memorized ”Mga Kababayan Ko”. Whenever I’m on the beach lying in the sand slightly buzzed and on the lookout for shooting stars, I sing ”Cold Summer Nights in my head.

His Kaleidoscope World? It gets me singing.

"Every color and every hue
Is represented by me and you
Take a slide in the slop
Take a look in the kaleidoscope
Spinnin’ round, make it twirl
In this kaleidoscope world."


Ma-miss ka namin, Kiko.




Photos taken by STIP. Francis M at SAGUIJO. Mar 31st 2007.

No comments: