Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reality Check

I was at our head office yesterday to deliver a presentation to our group’s regional envelope manager and his successor. It was also an opportunity for me to be introduced to them and showcase my technical and supply-chain skills –- I was under the impression that it was a pre-conceived tactic by our leadership team.

Anyway, I delivered the presentation smoothly and confidently (I only stammered once!). Our guests commended our group’s showcase of competency. Even our group’s VP gave us a pat on the back.

Later in the night, after a few games of badminton with some colleagues, I joined my co-worker and our VP for drinks at a bar just behind the office. As I took my seat, our boss ordered me a beer and shot me a question:

“What’s the next job you would like, Stip?”

With no second thoughts, I confidently answered, “In the long term, I want the Fuels Technical Manager position, sir.”

”You didn’t answer my question. What next assignment would you like to have?”

“I figured that I have 2 to 3 more years of tenure at my current position. By that time, if the Fuels Technical position is vacant, I would apply for it.”

Boss took a sip of his beer, nudging me to do the same. And I took a few gulps of San Mig Light.

”There’s no way you can get that position as your next assignment.

Over the next few minutes, our boss explained why I cannot get that next assignment on my next job transfer. I needed to further broaden my skillbase. I also didn’t realize that the FTM position was two rungs above my present job level, and hence I needed a “springboard position” in case I really want to pursue that assignment.

At the end of that one-beer discussion, I’ve gained a broader view of my career options.

I wonder if an assignment in our Lubricants business is as exciting and rewarding as my current stint in our Fuels business?

I need to give that some serious thought.

I’ll start asking around.

No comments: