Sunday, November 02, 2008

On Being Poor, My Parents and the Outdoors

1.
sigh...

It's already November. It's the start of my monthly amortization.
I'm officially POOR.

Have to subsist on my salary for the next six months. My passive income all goes towards what I would like to think of as a "good investment".

I'm back in the rat race.

2.
My parents decided to stay this weekend with me at Batangas so I wasn't able to go anywhere else. It was a great, quiet weekend for us.

My mom cooked all my favorite foods (paksiw na lechon, menudo, bulalo, pork steak, monggo with shrimp, beef tapa) for the last two days with me, of course, as her kitchen assistant. She even brought her charcoal stove so that the bulalo flavor would be at its best. Hahaha. By the way, last Friday night, Bai, Chewy and Jay talked my mom into "adopting" them for dinner (menudo, fried tilapia, ginisang pechay with shrimps).

After dinner, my dad would have his customary drink (I keep a bottle of Chivas on-stock always) and chat with me about current events (this time around, his favorite topic is the Obama presidency).

My parents also got me a gift. Hahahaha. It was a remote-controlled dragonfly! When was the last time your parents ever got you a toy? I spent a couple of hours this afternoon figuring out how to operate the dragonfly. =)


3.
Finally, I found a group who's interested in climbing Mt. Kinabalu! Wahoo! We're gonna do it next year! I'm excited about the whole trip. It'll be my first climb outside of the country, and what makes it better is that we're climbing the tallest mountain in the region. Whoop! It's a 6-day climb!

A couple of my colleagues are still "encouraging" me to take up diving. My problem is I can't fit those diving lessons into my schedule (specially with Christmas season fast approaching).

Hmmm... maybe next year na rin?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi stip! good move on the climb! you can enjoy it in 2 days lang. =) thats the normal itinerary for the climb alone. you can explore the kinabalu park in the other days... worth it if you like the outdoors. =)

stip said...

hey carmela! well, you're part of the reason why i want to climb kinabalu. nainggit ako sa solo trip mo dun e. hehehe.

in case you want to join us, just let me know. :D 3 of us in our party already: me, one from Guam and another from Brunei.

Anonymous said...

wow! international cast pa! hehehe =) i'll let you know if i can make it. keep me posted of the details if ever. if libre ako, i'd like to climb it again! sulit yan e. hehehe looking forward to your account of this experience! =)