Monday, January 16, 2006

Memoirs of a Narnian Flux

Hahaha... this recent weekend was a totally couch-potato experience for me -- I found the time to watch three films.

A. Memoirs of a Geisha

Interesting enough. I'm partial towards Japanese-based films, and more brownie points to the movie if it's a period film. I haven't read the book, but I think the movie is pleasing enough to give the non-reader a good overview of "Memoirs".

After seeing the film, I think I now understand why some of my Japanese-lady friends have that pasttime of "catch a man with just one look". It's a geisha skill. Kairi often does this, hehehe.

In my personal rating scheme, I'd give Memoirs of a Geisha 7.5/10 rating. It could hav been an 8.5 max, but the English dialogue is too thick with the Asian accents (making it hard to catch some of the conversations) and the transition among the 3 parts of the movie was done a bit awkwardly.

B. The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

Wahooo! Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings!

Okay, I'll admit that I wouldn't bother seeing "Narnia" if I haven't come across Carmela's post at her blog. You see, based on my impressions of her (and her intelligence), I think Carmela's opinions value a lot when it comes to film and literature critiques. Plus, I tried skimming as early as two years ago (at that time, I was searching for a new series to collect) through C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles" and I wasn't really impressed.

Fortunately, the film version was a "two thumbs-up" pleasure for me. The cast selection was good, the settings were great and the visual effects were splendid. I wouldn't argue on the plot because that (I assume) is a given.

Best scene: what else, but the war scene. The Witch was astounding in her battle gear and polar-bear driven chariot. The fire arrow that became a phoenix that became a fire-line was also great.

Personal rating: 8.8 out of 10.

C. AEON FLUX

Three things:
* Charlize Theron can kick ass.
* Futuristic environment.
* The concept and plot is good but the fight scenes were mediocre.

Best scene: cover-fire provided by snipers

Personal rating: 7.1 out of 10.

No comments: