Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Sweating the Small Stuff

This is me making a big deal out of a small thing.

On December 23rd, a friend of mine made plans to have a coffee get-together for our small group of 4 (yup, having coffee is the current norm for getting together in the various circle of friends I have, much the same way as the FRIENDS sitcom gang meet up at Central Perk).

As I currently have limited transportation means (read: I crashed my car a couple of weeks ago, and it'll take 5-6 weeks to repair it), I made a plea to have the coffee get-together at Rockwell instead of Fort. I've been hitching rides home since my car accident, and my drop-off point for my Dec 23 hitch is at Rockwell.

Me: Can we have it at Rockwell instead?
Friend: Fort na lang. Baka kasi ma-traffic dun e.
Me: Okay fine.

At 915 pm, after all the Christmas errands at Rockwell, I was finally okay to get going to Fort. So I waited at the mall's taxi stand. I was 7th in line.

Not so lucky number 7. 40 minutes later, I became number 6 in line. Goodness!

Friend, via sms: Alis kami ng 11 dito (Fort) ha?

At 1050 pm, I was still sixth in line. Damn.

So I decided to walk all the way from Powerplant Mall to EDSA (it's a good 20 minute brisk walking) where I was able to get onboard a bus.

Got home a little past midnight.

If the get-together was done at Rockwell, all of us would have been sharing stories and laughs instead of me standing and jigging with a dozen other strangers in a taxi stand outside Powerplant Mall.

And I didn't bother going to the coffee get together anymore. Nor will I attend any coffee get-togethers organized by this friend in the near-future. I realized that my worth as far as my friend is concerned is only as good as a 10-minute traffic inconvenience in Makati.

This is me making a big deal over a small thing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a naturally good and understanding person. But occasionally, I do have some quirks both negative and positive. But those are what make me lovable and interesting, bwahahahaha.

By the way, belated Christmas greetings to all my readers! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i can understand your sentiments. AND it's not a small thing, mind you. small thing for them to drive over to rockwell, but NOT a small thing for you to wait 2 hrs and walk all the way to EDSA just to get a bus ride.

P.S. next time you can also try waiting for a cab in front of seattle's best..

Anonymous said...

i am anonymous also but i'm not related to anonymous. baka anak sa labas ng papa ko yan. itago mo na lang ako sa pangalang anonymous para di na magulo :)

hehe alam ko yan kwento na yan.